Quality versus Speed for European Standards

Published: 21 February 2014

Policies & Issues: Internal Market - Compliance, Standards & Enforcement

The European standardisation system, as it is known today, is the result of a long-standing and successful public-private cooperation resting on a consensus-building process that involves various actors: industry, public authorities, consumers, trade unions, etc. Some 80.000 experts work in standardisation on a voluntary basis, a large number of them coming from medium size enterprises.  Industry bears up to 95% of the cost of the system, the remaining 5% being covered by public funding (of which 2% from EC/EFTA). 

Almost 4 000 European Standards are cited in the EU Official Journal.  30% of European Standards directly support companies’ compliance with EU Directives thanks to the presumption of conformity with their essential requirements...

Related Position Papers

Internal Market: Orgalim comments on the 2020 draft Blue Guide [13 November 2020]

Internal Market: Orgalim comments on the Draft Guidelines for the practical implementation of Article 4 of Regulation 2019/1020 on market surveillance and compliance of products [22 April 2020]

Internal Market: Shaping a New Deal for the Single Market: Harmonised standards in support of a competitive European industry [27 January 2020]

Internal Market: Suggestions for a revision of the Blue Guide on the implementation of EU product rules 2016 [27 January 2020]

Internal Market: For a restored mutual trust in a market-relevant European Standardisation System [24 September 2019]

Towards effective, efficient EU market surveillance: all for a level-playing field without additional burdens for legitimate manufacturers [6 December 2018]

For simpler compliance with and smarter enforcement of EU harmonisation legislation: Orgalime comments on the amendments of the European Parliament to the Commission proposal on Compliance and Enforcement [6 July 2018]

For simpler compliance with and smarter enforcement of EU harmonisation legislation: comments on the Commission proposal for a Regulation laying down rules and procedures for compliance with and enforcement of Union harmonisation legislation on products [5 April 2018]

Orgalime calls for improved enforcement of harmonisation legislation for safe and compliant products [21 February 2018]