No need to reform the internal market for industrial products
Published: 16 April 2013
Policies & Issues: Internal Market - Compliance, Standards & Enforcement
Orgalime welcomes the European Commission’s open consultation of stakeholders on remaining barriers to the free movement of industrial products.
We support Commission’s statement in its 'Industrial Policy Communication Update': a fully functioning internal market is a “key tool to achieve a highly competitive social market economy”.
In this context, engineering companies represented by Orgalime in Europe have six key messages to communicate to policy makers.
- Professional non-harmonised sectors do not require harmonised health and safety regulation at European-level.
- In harmonised sectors, full harmonisation is needed for all national rules and requirements for placing products on the market.
- Market surveillance needs to be stepped up.
- Products and applications related to Key Enabling Technologies (KETs) do not require specific legislation; some adjustments in existing legislation could support the uptake of KETs.
- Products and applications related to 3-D printing do not need to be regulated at EU level.
- Harmonised legislation at EU level should be consistent.
Related Position Papers
Internal Market: Orgalim Position on the Single Market Emergency Instrument (SMEI) proposal [20 March 2023]
Internal Market: Securing Europe’s industrial competitiveness – An agenda to recommit to the Single Market [15 February 2023]
Digital Transformation: Industry calls on EU legislators to respect principles of the New Legislative Framework in the AI Act [30 September 2022]
Internal Market: Criteria for common specifications [27 September 2022]
Internal Market: Joint industry statement – Feedback on the Standardisation Strategy [6 April 2022]
Internal Market: Orgalim Position paper on the New Legislative Framework [7 March 2022]
Environment: Orgalim Position Paper on the draft French Decree on consumer information for waste-generating products [21 December 2021]
Internal Market: Joint Industry recommendations for effective Harmonised Standardisation [6 July 2021]
Internal Market: Joint open letter on industry competitiveness and EU standardisation [1 February 2021]